My husband swears that these are the best atayef that he's ever tasted!
- 3 cups warm milk
- 2 cups smead 3
- tbsp. flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. each: baking soda, baking powder, mahleb
- 1 pack instant yeast
- combine all ingredients in a blender, liquid first.
- Blend 5 minutes.
Choose from these Filling options
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Mix all well in a bowl
- 1lb. Ricotta Cheese
- small container half/half
- 3-4 tbsp. corn starch (dissolved in water)
- 1 qt. heavy whipping cream (small milk carton)
- 2-3 tbsp. sugar
- put half & half,sugar,whipping cream in a pot bring to boil.
- Add slowly dissolved cornstarch stirring well.
- Put in refrigerator to thicken.
- 1 lb. unsalted lebanese white cheese, grated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. orange blossom water
- Start by making Atter since it needs to be cold.
- Dissolve sugar in water, stirring over medium high heat until dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add lemon juice and lower heat.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Just before moving from heat add orange blossom water.
- Let cool.
- Heat a griddle or small nonstick frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease with butter.
- Pour 1/2 ladle of batter into the pan and tilt immediately to allow it to spread. Make sure it remains round and thick.
- Cook about 1 minute or until all bubbles forming on pancake disappear and underside is golden brown.
- Fry one side of pancake only. The other side must remain uncooked and moist, so that its edges can be stuck together.
- Lift out and pile on plate ready for stuffing.
- put a heaping tablespoon of stuffing in middle of pancake, on uncooked side.
- Fold pancakes in half over filling to make half-moon shape, and pinch edges to secure.Deep fry, until golden brown,turning them over once.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- While still hot dip in cold Atter syrup.
- Serve hot or cold.