This is a quick and simple dish that my mother used to make us when we were younger. I still make it a lot.
- 1 packet (or can) of canned or frozen artichoke hearts
- Fresh or frozen broccoli
- 2 chicken breasts (around 1 lb)
- 1 container low fat sour cream (1 lb)
- Whole wheat bread crumbs (from 1 slice of bread or more)
- 3 medium sized potatoes or more
- 1 maggie cube (or chicken stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- some grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 farenheit (I think thats 180 celcius)
- Boil broccoli and artichoke hearts in salted water until cooked but still crunchy
- Cut artichoke hearts into halves and chop broccoli into pieces as big as artichoke hearts
- Peel potato and slice
- Chop chicken breasts into pieces as big as broccoli and artichoke hearts
- Cook chicken in water until it is almost done (but not completely). Add 1 bay leaf, salt, pepper and 1 maggie cube while cooking. If you use chicken stock instead of maggie then omit water (obviously)
- Place all above into a casserole dish. Add around 1/2 to 1 cup of the chicken stock (you can also use vegetable stock for this part)
- Cover completely with sour cream
- Top with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese
- Place in oven for half an hour
- Remove from oven and place in broiler for 5 min (optional)
- You can use different vegetables for this - zuchinni, carrots, spinach, brussel sprouts etc.
- Instead of boiling the chicken, you can fry it with 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper until brown. You still have to add chicken or vegetable stock to the casserole in step 7 though.